Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Let there be (kitchen) light!

Another project we've kind of put off is the kitchen lighting. To put it bluntly, it's pretty terrible and it's rather amazing that I haven't accidentally chopped a finger off because I couldn't see properly.

Let's face it, my eyes aren't the best out there, but the stove/counter top area of our kitchen is so dark that in the winter-time (when it's dark before 5 p.m.) it's really hard to see what you're doing - which is really not safe. We thought of getting under cabinet lights, but those can be a pain to install and that doesn't necessarily help us with the overhead lighting issue either.

The light over our dining area is not really centered and just looks plain weird.

Did I mention both of these are boob lights? Not just any boob lights, but fancy carved wood boob lights. As pretty as they are... I'm just not a fan of lights that remind me of biology class.

I mean they're not horrible, they're just not "us." Well, Garry would argue... but then again, he could care less so long as the lights work he's a happy camper.

I went on another little excursion yesterday to our local Lowes. There were a few things I wanted to pick up to work on the bathroom and get an idea for pricing for a few other projects - when I saw the light fixture that I desperately wanted for the dining area.

Photo from the Lowes.com website

Yeah, I know, it's incredibly simple. But honestly folks, that's exactly what I'm going for. Our dining space isn't huge and I figured that keeping the lighting simple would make things easier for us as far as making it look less cluttered.

At some point this week Garry is going to install it.

We've also decided on track lighting for the other portion of the kitchen - we just need to measure and decide what the best way to go is going to be. Since the actual fixture is as far away from the "cooking area" as it can be without being in the "dining area," we may have to look at other options (like moving the electrical box) if we can't use track lighting to fix the problem.

The rest of this week will be spent working late and this weekend - bathroom painting begins! I'm really excited to get the bathroom that much closer to completion.

I also picked up some brackets to hang the reclaimed wood shelf that I've been dreaming of doing (since we bought the house) in the kitchen, so that may happen this weekend too. Once we get the shelf and lights hung, the next thing for the kitchen (and many other rooms in the house) is textiles.

No comments:

Post a Comment