Wednesday, February 15, 2012

If it's free, it's for me!

Oh, the immortal words of my dear co-worker Heather.

One day, we were sitting in her office gabbing about this, that, or the other and something came up where she responded "If it's free, it's for me!"

I've been finding that entering my vocabulary more and more often lately.

As much as I love to decorate my house and am no stranger to buying a million yards of designer fabric at Joann's (with a coupon of course, but it's still expensive!) it gets, well expensive. And trying to cut down the cost of not only renovating a house, but adding little bits of personality to it here and there (so I don't feel like I'm renovating someone else's house) makes my bank account cry.

Luckily, I love to take photos.

Not just photos of renovation projects, or the random things my cats do, but of beautiful things and moments.

For instance, near our house there is an old carousel. The day before we closed on our house I had some time to kill, so I went to the park where the carousel is and took some photos. They actually turned out really nice.



Wheeeeeeeeee!

Two of those prints (the first and third ones) I had printed in 16x20 size for my living room. I have yet to hang them up (need to get mats and frames) and since our kitchen tile project is taking up more resources than originally planned, it may be a while before those beauties go up on the wall. 

I'm not really a "horse person." I mean, I like horses - but I never had one (well, my grandparents did when we lived next door to them when I was very young). Carousels are actually a big thing in my town, we have tons of them. I have a few really great memories about the carousels from when I was little (before we even moved here) and I thought it would be nice to remind myself of all of the good things about this town when so many people are just trying to get out.  

In the meantime, I've been looking for free things to decorate the house with. We have a TON of random little things here and there or that can be turned into something, but it's just getting around to doing it. Since we have so much going on in the kitchen, it's been hard to focus.

I also received an email from Snapfish today that I would get 20 free prints. Woohoo! So, I'm uploading photos from our wedding to be printed. We have a weird hallway (it's not really a hallway, it's more like a hallsquare) that is begging for some art. Some of the photos would look great framed, plus I can include some other artwork I have that I've done (and there's quite a bit - oddly enough). On top of this, my mom just converted a bunch of old slides from when she was young (and before) that are really cool. Some photos are from when my grandfather was stationed in Italy during WWII. There is one of my mom and her dog, Sam, that I really want to print out. It's a really cool photo that would look really nice in our house, I think. 

I guess I inherited my "let's take photos of everything" gene from him. There are pictures of all sorts of things. Back then, not as many people had cameras (usually more wealthy folks, which they were not) but he worked as a machinist for a camera company so that's how that happened. 

I think having some really cool old photos (that are of my family, or taken by family members) would be really cool to have around to show to my future kid. 

Decidedly, our future kid will think we're nuts, or really cool, but probably nuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment