Monday, February 13, 2012

A weekend of accomplishments and ghosts

At long last, we finally have a working sink.

It took a while to get there, there was a lot of tile cutting, thinset and grout to get through, but now that's all been taken care of all we have to do is wait for the plumber to come and hook up our dishwasher so we can finish the project.


Grout, it also looks like grey frosting

The most annoying part of this project was actually waiting between parts of the project in order for the thinset and grout to cure properly. We also found out that we shouldn't seal the tile until after it's cured for 3 days. We figured once the dishwasher is installed we would put the facing on the counter top, let that cure, and then seal everything. In the meantime we just have to be exceedingly careful. 

Sheet cake anyone?

It's hard to believe how much better the counter looks. Well, I mean, it's not really that hard to believe, but it's still pretty amazing what a difference it made. 
Grout gets really messy

It's also nice that Garry knows what he's doing when it comes to tile. That's reassuring. 

Over the weekend I went to visit a friend of mine in a neighboring town. We went to a reunion event of hers and I ran into my old high school band teacher. It was really nice to see him again. I had completely forgotten that he played with a local orchestra. 

My friend and I watched smartly dressed elderly couples dance across the floor. Ghosts from my past were taking form and showing me glimpses of what "could have been." The music and the couples swirled around the room in a sea of red and black. 

Despite the lovely trip down memory lane, I never once regretted the decisions I have made, or even wished that I could "go back." Those beautiful memories have shaped who I am today, and I am quite thankful for the experience and the ability to recall those moments. 

Something that has come up in conversation many times with my dear friend is that we are "spirits trying to understand what it is like to be human." That statement echoed loudly through my mind this weekend. 

Last night I returned home and found this: 
Ooooh shiny!

Yay! A sink!
Good morning beautiful counter top

The guys had installed the sink while I was away. Finally, now I can do dishes somewhere other than the bathroom. The kitchen was also vacuumed and cleaned up a bit. It's going to take some heavy-duty cleaning in order for the kitchen to get back to where it needs to be, but it's a start. 

Once we get the facing finished and everything is sealed, we're going to start working on the other part of the counter top. We'll get to the back splash sometime around the end of the month. 

Oh, and we moved the wet saw to the garage. Figured it was better off in there than in the kitchen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment