Thursday, February 9, 2012

Perfection - the unattainable dream


(originally written January 18, 2012)
Part of the problem I have is that I’m a perfectionist. Considering that DIY never goes as planned (not even with something simple as painting a wall) it’s been a hard concept to learn that everything isn’t going to be perfect, actually it never will be.
Our accent wall in the living room has been bothering me as of late. We put plaster on the walls, but you can still see where the putty wasn’t done quite right and it just looks… awful. The paint isnt’ even either. So, I’ve been going through the options in my head of what we can do that will look better and that will be in our budget and skill set.
I’ve found a bunch of spray texture-type stuff at various places that sell home improvement items, but I’m still not completely sure if that’s going to fix it or just make it worse.
Either way – we’ll have to repaint that wall once we redo the texture on it. I’m sure Garry will be thrilled.
Just another lesson in really planning ahead, taking your time and not rushing just to “get it done.”
While that wall is (hopefully) going to be a relatively easy fix – the countertop on the other hand will be something entirely different. I’m really hoping that we can get that right the first time, as re-doing countertop is not cheap and/or easy.
We’re meeting with the grant person on Thursday to finally sign all of the paperwork and hopefully next week the contractors will start coming in to do the work. About time. I’m getting rather impatient about it, mostly because I’d really like to have my dishwasher installed and move on to the other projects.
My stomach is still bothering me today. I am chalking January up to the month of getting absolutely nothing accomplished because I’ve either been sick or too tired to do anything other than sit on the couch and watch tv. Awesome.
The problem with feeling a terrible pain in your instestines is that getting anything accomplished, at all, is next to impossible. I can’t think straight and when I’m in pain, my body naturally goes into what I call “shut down mode” and I want to take a nap. Do you know how hard it was for me to crawl out of bed this morning and go to work? While I was still in bed I wasn’t in that much pain. Once I got up and moving around, I started the coughing fits (again) and that only made things worse from there.
Augh, I just generally feel like yuck.
I’m wondering what I can manage to accomplish today other than reading a few blog posts and editing a few stories for work. Ideally I’d like to get something else done, but it looks like that won’t happen.
So perfection… it’s not going to happen. I guess so long as I’m happy with the imperfections of it all it’s then “perfectly imperfect” or something like that.
I don’t know, it’s hard to think between coughing fits.

No comments:

Post a Comment