It has been over 6 weeks since I caught whatever-it-is that I have. Whooping cough has been running rampant in my neck of the woods and I wouldn't be terribly surprised if that's what it was and my doctor just didn't catch it (or even test for it - weird).
Granted, I was at about 90% over the weekend. "So close..." I said to myself that I was fairly certain I'd be feeling much better by the end of the week when we finished the counters.
Oh, the best laid plans...
Somehow, I managed to catch this horrid head cold, which turned into a sinus infection overnight. I ended up staying home yesterday because it took about all of the energy I had just to make my way from the couch to the bathroom or to the kitchen (both right off of the living room) so I figured work could wait.
The awful part about all of this is that I don't get sick like this. For the most part, I'm fairly resilient and healthy. This year has just been a kick to the gut so far.
Now that I'm done with the whining about being sick - we actually didn't get around to finishing the counter top this weekend. Garry managed to get most of the cement board installed (except for the one back splash spot behind the stove) and we have yet to cut the tiles. I won't get into why it didn't happen because it's still bothering me and I have a feeling that it won't be resolved for some time yet.
Garry has Thursday and Friday off this week so I'm hoping that he'll cut and lay the tile tomorrow while I'm at work, grout it on Friday and then we can seal it on Saturday and finally have our counter top space back to normal.
We're also going to make a little trip to Home Depot on Friday to purchase/order the items for the back splash. The travertine and railing we can purchase, but the pebble tile has to be ordered online. We can, however, install the first few rows of travertine subway tile, bottom railing, and the mosaic in the meantime (which will take a while to do).
Once we're finished I will post a tutorial on how to create a stone tile counter top and aftercare procedures. I will say that the project ended up costing us quite a bit more than we originally planned, but we also had to purchase tools and a new sink, faucet and more thinset and grout than we originally anticipated. It also didn't help that we didn't do all of it at once (it's really ideal to do it all at once) so you don't waste the grout.
Hopefully on Sunday we'll be able to actually clean the kitchen. I'm sure part of my inability to get well is because there is so much dust in the house from the renovations.