Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Steps 2, 3, and 4

I'm breaking this process up into micro-steps because that's honestly the only way I feel like I'm going to make it through this office prettification process.

Step 2: Move the filing cabinet into the office (organize the living daylights out of it!)
Step 3: Take my table/desk apart
Step 4: Spray paint my table/desk

Yesterday I bought more spray paint. When Garry noticed two MORE cans in the house he just shaked his head. He swears I have an addiction. He's just lucky I didn't bring actual wall paint home too - because I was seriously thinking about it. And really... of all things to be addicted to - painting all the things isn't the worst thing out there.

The cans I picked up are for our two very old work tables that are functioning as desks in our office. There are people out there that would probably beat me stupid for painting these vintage work tables, but they don't go... at all. If they did, or even if I could somehow find a way to make it "work" in my head, I would leave them alone, but, my friends, that isn't going to happen. I don't even think David Bromstad or Nate Berkus could make that happen.

The problem with painting everything is that you have to pick a color. While this is what "transforms" something - and I'm all about that - I really like to get the color right the first time. Okay, at least with spray painting. Painting walls doesn't count. We ALL know that it takes at least 2 different colors before you get it down.

Anyway... after standing in the aisle for quite some time mulling over different paint colors and thinking about what would go well in the room, which needs to flow with the house... etc I ended up with a taupey-grey color. I know, not the most exciting, but think about it - these tables are vintage, they weren't painted exciting colors like sunshine yellow and bright orange. Not to mention that those tables take up a lot of space in our office - so painting them a bright color wouldn't be just a "pop" of color, it would be a big ol' BOOM. Considering I'm pretty desperate to repaint our very blue bedroom, I apparently can't handle living in bright colors in that large of a quantity. Lesson learned.

Don't get me wrong, I did entertain the idea of fire-engine red or kelly green desks, but it just didn't "do it" for me (Kelly green chairs would be fun though!)

I'm still debating if I'm going to use the left over ORB spray paint from the cabinet for the table tops, or if I'm going to redo them in aluminum (the sides of the top are aluminum). I'm also debating if I want to build or buy a bookshelf or not as our current one is really narrow and a lot of my books don't really "fit."

Hopefully this weekend Garry will move my table outside so I can paint it. This is probably going to take a couple of weeks to get the spray painting completed as we can only do one desk at a time, when I feel up to it, then let it dry for two days. Oh, and it can't be raining... and where I live it rains ALL THE TIME.

I'm also dreaming of the track shelving unit I want to put behind my desk. I think that could look really awesome with some worn-looking, walnut-stained wood. I also think a big clock hung where I want to put our book shelf would look really cool too. (I lurrrrrrve big clocks)

I also can't wait to pull out my decorative bits box. I realize that I probably don't have anywhere near the amount of decorative stuff that I think I have. That's where all of my craft stuff comes in (which I have WAY more than I'm sure I think is there) to use some of it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment