Thursday, March 15, 2012

Painting the kitchen, and why I should learn to think things through

I finally started painting the kitchen last night!

I didn't get home from work and running errands until later than normal, so I didn't get started with the painting until about 6:30. Now for most folks, painting a kitchen isn't like painting another room since a lot of folks have open floor plans, or small kitchens blah blah blah.

I think I bit off a little more than I could chew.

See, yesterday I was on my feet all day, running around taking photos for work. This is not a normal thing. Usually I sit happily in my office working, but it just-so-happened that five different events were happening on the same day. Did I mention I decided to wear heels too? Yeah, I'm an idiot.

I get home and my feet are already hurting. This should have been a sign that maybe I should just wait until tomorrow to start painting. But no, I'm stubborn. I soldier on.

Our kitchen is a fairly decent size with quite a bit of wall space. It took me 4 hours (of course with a few short breaks and a few minor interruptions with phone calls) to get 3/4 of the first coat painting. Since the original color is like an olive/basil green color it will definitely take two coats - even with the Glidden 2-in-1.

I was exhausted afterwards. I will say that I like the color a lot more than the dark green. The room feels so much lighter than it did before and it will transition nicely with the color I picked to redo the living room (that will happen on Saturday). The great thing is, it's a color without being overpowering. It's a cool color so it doesn't compete with the tile, it recedes.

Going to finish painting the kitchen tonight! I really hope it goes a little faster tonight... Garry said he would help me, so that's a good thing. I just don't want to be up until midnight painting my kitchen and then have to go to work early in the morning. (If it was a Friday night, I'd happily stay up all night painting if I had the energy)

I can't wait to get the shelves and some artwork on the walls. It will help add some warmth and personality to the room.

Pictures of the newly painting kitchen tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment